As a parent I feel like I spend quite a lot of my time bribing my children just to get them to behave. I know it’s bad and I shouldn’t do it but surely I am not the only one?
These are some of the things I find myself saying in a regular basis
- If you do a wee in the potty I will give you a smartie
- If you do a poo in the potty I will give you 2 smarties
- If you don’t have any accidents all day I will give you a Kinder egg
- Ok, yes if your brother does a wee, poo or has no accidents you can also have smartie or a kinder egg (my eldest is an excellent negotiator)
- If you are good all day you can have a chocolate coin
- If you pose nicely for mummy’s pictures you can have a chocolate muffin
- If you are good on the plane we will go to McDonald’s
- If you are not good I will cancel your birthday party
- If you are not good I will call Father Christmas and tell him not to bring you any presents (I use this September to December)
I also used to give my eldest something from a treat box just before bed according to how good he had been during the day. Luckily (or unluckily for him) he is not the best behaved child so he didn’t get a treat very often. I have stopped that now as I want him to realise he has to be good regardless.
Do you bribe your children on a regular basis? Please tell me I am not the only one!